Ask Cat: answers for your UVM questions

Ask Cat

Q: I’m nervous about my workload; how can I handle it?

With the start of every new semester comes new stress. Everyone on campus is affected by stress in some way, so don’t worry, you’re not alone.

The first thing I do when I am overwhelmed with schoolwork is to write all my due dates down from the syllabi. Trying to remember a ton of dates without writing them down rarely works.

I would recommend investing in a daily planner. You don’t have to break your budget when buying a planner.

The UVM Bookstore sells daily planners starting at $4.99. That’s a price you can’t beat anywhere else.

Once you have your planner with all your important dates you can finally start getting work done.

I have learned the hard way not to procrastinate, and if you do, you need to accept the consequences. I noticed that when I do assignments the day before they are due I feel much more anxious and stressed.

Q: How do I deal with a roommate that is different than me?

Living with someone is a skill that most people learn while at college. The first step is getting to know them before making judgements.

There is no rule stating that you need to be friends with your roommate. The only rule of living with someone is that you have to respect each others’ space, which isn’t hard to follow.

If you want to get out of your dorm room and have some personal space, the Living/Learning Fireplace Lounge and the Cyber Cafe are my personal favorites.

My biggest piece of advice would be to join as many clubs as possible.

I know that everyone tells you to join clubs, but getting involved and staying busy actually helps you meet people with similar interests.

Wednesday, Sept. 4 is ActivitiesFest on the Andrew Harris green. This is the largest club fair UVM puts on this semester, so be sure to go and learn more about some clubs that interest you.

Q: What are good restaurants off campus that aren’t too expensive?

For students, Burlington is an expensive place.

According to CNBC, Vermont was ranked the eighth most expensive state to live in the U.S.

Although this news is disheartening, and you may feel like going out to a restaurant isn’t affordable, don’t worry.

Here are two places sure to satisfy your food cravings and also not break your budget.

The cheap Thai eatery East West Cafe is on the corner of Pearl Street and North Winooski Avenue, located conveniently near Trinity campus.

My favorite go-to orders are the fried rice and pad thai noodles. East West Cafe also offers take out. Al’s French Frys is a great place to get classic fast food. Al’s is in South Burlington on Williston Road, a short walk or bike ride away.

My friends and I always get creemies and fries at Al’s.

These two cheap eats are a must try for any college student.