Get It? Got It? Good.

This opinion directs itself specifically toward people incensed by what is published in the news section. The Cynic’s affiliation to the school rests in its devotion to covering University related events and activities. Opinions are inescapable, and having to apologize for their persistence does not give credit to the rag. It is our duty to slant the articles in favor of the student body which it speaks for better than its ‘elected’ officials in the SGA.

There is legitimacy in our bias. Is it not our to journalistic duty to be the watchdog of the administration? If writers feel legitimate concern over University policy, I fully stand behind their right to counter what the administration has put their own bias into. Messages from the Broadcast Center present facts bent by the prism of University vision, so it is the Cynic’s job to refract this light by imposing a student-voiced mirror before it reaches its audience. The light from this mirror is not perfect, but it at least presents a view different from the school’s, encouraging dialogical thinking about the direction the school is headed in. Higher learning encompasses varied learning especially when based in genuine perturbation at policy decisions. It is because we love the school that we criticize it.

The Cynic should not be held to a standard of sterility imposed by the angry writings of concerned readers worried about the journalistic integrity of the sole student publication on campus. It is difficult to imagine a piece of writing that is not tweaked with the stigmatized notion of personal bias.

As a final plea, note to the very name of this newspaper. The CYNIC cannot be expected to abandon its namesake in favor of flat facts and dry journalism.