Kavanaugh is not worthy of a seat on the Supreme Court

Mills Sparkman

If you’ve been reading the news the past few weeks, you’ve probably seen Brett Kavanaugh’s name mentioned a few times. He was nominated by Donald Trump to serve as a Supreme Court Justice.

His court decisions have recently been overshadowed by the sexual assault accusations of three different women and the Senate hearing of the first woman, Christine Blasey Ford.

Conservatives say the idea that Mr. Kavanaugh may have assaulted Ford, Deborah Ramirez and Julie Swetnick should not interfere with his confirmation process, because it is not related to his judicial experience and there is not enough evidence, according to a Sept. 26 LA Times article.

This is wrong in so many ways. When someone commits sexual assault, they are going against every code of ethics in existence. Their personal behavior is not magically separated from their judicial decisions.

To sexually assault someone is to strip them of their bodily autonomy.

When someone commits sexual assault, they are doing harm to another for no reason other than their own satisfaction.

Judges are appointed to be impartial, morally just and ethical in their decisions. Someone who has committed or has been accused of committing sexual assault is clearly not fit for the job.

Alleged sexual assault aside, the clear difference between Ford’s composure and Kavanaugh’s lack thereof shows why he should not be nominated.

Both were emotional in their testimonies. Ford, however, was forthcoming and used her experience as a psychology professor to explain how she remembered her assault.

Kavanaugh was whiny, petulant and indignant.

He blamed the Clintons and the Democrats, brandished his Yale Law degree like a shield from criticism and lamented the idea that he might never be a basketball coach again.

Even if the charges against Kavanaugh were deemed too distant to investigate, and even if he is innocent, his self-serving and childish performance Sept. 27 showed that he is not by any means impartial.

In addition, the entire process of nomination is unfair, making Kavanaugh’s possible confirmation inherently unfair.

The Republicans accused the Democrats of using Ford as a political pawn to announce their agenda, and of running a “smear campaign” against Kavanaugh, in a Sept. 29 CNN article.

They blissfully ignore their own hypocrisy in the blocking of Merrick Garland, denying him Senate hearings and therefore any shot at the Supreme Court nomination, under President Obama.

They neglect to mention that they didn’t allow Democrats to use all the evidence they had about Kavanaugh during the hearings.

They don’t concede that their president is a man accused of sexual assault more than once, according to an October 2016 Washington Post article, and therefore maybe not be the best judge of moral character.

The Supreme Court is the highest legal authority in the U.S.. One would hope that the Senate expect the highest personal and legal standards from the justices that serve there.

The fact that Kavanaugh is being seriously considered proves that at least the Republican Senate — Chuck Grassley, Lindsey Graham and most of all Mitch McConnell — do not.