Sanders fans: if Clinton makes it, don’t back down

I would like to make a statement that may shock our liberal readers: Hillary Clinton isn’t the devil.

Yeah, we’re all “feeling the Bern,” but we have to face the fact that there’s a possibility Sanders won’t win the Democratic nomination.

It’s obviously too soon to tell who will pull ahead, but I think it’s pretty fair to say it could go either way – the Iowa caucus saw Clinton and Sanders separated by a mere 0.3 percent.

Sanders is the hometown boy and hero of millennials everywhere, and for good reason. His policies address a lot of is- sues important to young and marginalized people. However, this doesn’t make him the only person worth voting for.

Over the past year, I’ve heard many friends remark that they hate Clinton, despise her even, and will never vote for her for president. That seems a bit extreme.

While she’s clearly no saint, Clinton is far from the epitome of evil. I mean, have you looked at the Right lately? The clown car of Republican candidates, with Donald Trump as the ring-master, can’t look more enticing than Clinton.

So let’s just imagine for a moment that Sanders doesn’t win the party nomination. Boo hoo, yes we’re all sad, but come November, we are going to have to pick someone for president, and as much as you may not like Clinton, who else are you going to vote for? Donald Trump? Ted Cruz? Marco Rubio?

That’s who is winning in the polls, so we can presume it will be one of them.

Do you think you’re just not going to vote? Because that’s a pretty childish way to operate. Hmmph, my candidate didn’t win, so I’m going to cross my arms and refuse to participate.

Good luck with that. It just increases the chances of the other party winning.

One vote may not decide the election, but by refusing to participate, you take any decision-making completely out of your own hands.

If Clinton beats Sanders, you may consider it choosing between the lesser of two evils. But, choosing bad over awful is still better than not choosing at all.

Now, I would rather see Sanders in the Oval Office than Clinton, but I’m not blind to practical reality.

Whoever gets elected into presidential office will hold a lot of influence over the next four, or more, years of my life.

They will be shaping the politics of a large portion of our lives, and I would much rather see a Democratic candidate – any Democratic candidate – making legislation than a Republican.