Who is going to keep up?

Whether you do it privately or proudly, angrily or readily, chances are you probably keep up with the Kardashians to some degree.

Although it is still unclear exactly what it is that they are famous for, the overwhelming presence of this fame is everywhere. To all you Kardashian haters out there, here is a reason why you should not be so quick to judge the action of others, and rather see the issue of todayÕs problematic celebrity craze as your own fault instead.

Drug problems threatening to tear apart a young couple. The end of a 22-year marriage. Siblings bickering. Running a business. The celebration of new children and grandchildren.

In terms of the famous Kardashians, these have all made profitable tabloid headlines, however they could just as easily be applied to millions of other American families.

Sadly, many of the more hard-hitting topics covered on their hit television series are also huge societal problems currently, that might effect any one of us at a powerful personal level.

Yet they counter the presence of such vices with an admirable familial bond. Granted, they do it in a style facilitated by a monetary surplus that most Americans do not have access to.

When the brand names and the flashy parties are stripped away, what is left at the core is a group of people navigating the struggles of daily life with the support of their loved ones readily at hand.

To criticize them would be to equally criticize certain behaviors systemic in many families and communities across an array of socioeconomic lines.

If it is so relative, then why is the Kardashian existence so much more famous everyone elseÕs? The only explanation is the over-involved relationship with celebrities that our culture eagerly nourishes.

Kimye does not force its relationship status onto us, any more so than our real friends and roommates, yet for some reason there is the tendency to be fascinated by it nonetheless. Even in the absence of anything remarkable to report, the scrutiny and the obsession remains.

The problem at hand is not the Kardashians, but rather ourselves. In this age of social media, the vast majority of publicity is often not perpetuated by professional journalists and photographers, but instead by the stars themselves.

SocietyÕs attraction to Hollywood isnÕt so much fueled by the industry anymore, but a personal choice made every time we log into Twitter or check our Instagrams. In this way, it has reached a profoundly more intimate level of influence on our own lives.

Celebrities are famous purely for the external reason that their fan base, strongly present over all forms of internet social media, actively keeps them this way, not necessarily because of their own doing.

What this ultimately means is that average citizens have an underappreciated control over celebrities and what precisely the press chooses to scrutinize.

Every time a choice is made to follow something, both in the original and the new social media sense, a direct statement is made about what it is that is valued and has been deemed news worthy.

There is an incredible amount of political agency subtly involved in the news and entertainment habits of the average citizen.

Therefore, if any one is unhappy with the status of the celebrity craze, and feels as though there are far more worthy people of the publicÕs attention, then they should think before they follow.