Boston Celtics retain win streak

Jared Paquette, Staff Writer

The No. 4 seed Boston Celtics secured a spot in the NBA quarterfinals with a game three series win over the Indiana Pacers April 21.

After a turbulent season, the Celtics appear to be catching fire at the perfect time.

Celtics guard Kyrie Irving led his team to victory, averaging 22.5 points, according to the NBA website.

First-year Ian Cole, said he is relieved to see the Celtics overcome concerns about Irving’s commitment to Boston.

“Irving seems to be happy in Boston,” Cole said. “It seems like the Celtics have gotten their act together. They looked really cohesive.”

In game four, the Celtics bench players were the key to their 110-106 victory.

Seven out of nine active players reached double digit scoring, led by forward Gordon Hayward’s 20 points, according to the NBA website.

In game two of the series, Irving scored a series high 37 points, securing a close single-digit 99-91 win April 17, according to the NBA website.

Celtics center Al Horford also played well, averaging 11 points and a team-leading 10 rebounds.   

As the first team to advance to the second round, the Celtics had plenty of time to rest and prepare for the No. 1 seed Milwaukee Bucks. The competition is led by forward Giannis Antetokounmpo, a MVP candidate.

Anthony Clark, a senior, said although the series sweep against the Pacers gave him confidence, he is concerned about the Milwaukee team.

“It’s a confidence boost to sweep a series,” Clark said. “Boston will need that confidence going into the series against a strong Milwaukee team.”

Cole  said he also has confidence the Celtics could upset the top-seeded Bucks.

“Kyrie doesn’t need to perform perfectly every night, which may give us an advantage,” he said. “This series against the Celtics is going to be a real test for Giannis.”

The Celtics depth could be Boston’s secret to success against Antetokounmpo and the Bucks. Antetokounmpo leads his team in points, rebounds and assists.

Boston won their first game against the Bucks April 28 112-90 and will play them in game two April 30, according to the ESPN website.