Boston Ties Men’s Soccer in Loaded Game

Matt Chavez scored four goals but Vermont could not hold off a late Boston University charge as the team’s settled for a 4-4 double overtime tie America East men’s soccer at a soggy Centennial Field on Saturday afternoon.

Chavez gave the Catamounts a 4-1 lead with just under 20 minutes to play but the Terriers scored three unanswered goals including the equalizer with eight seconds left in regulation in the conference opener for both sides.

The tie also extended B.U.’s recent dominance over Vermont as the Cats last win was in the 1990 conference title game.

The four-goal outburst by Chavez was one off the school record and tied the conference record set by many players. The last four-goal game was by Vermont’s Adam Wallace against Hartford on October 26, 2002 ironically in the Catamounts final conference game of the last season. UVM’s school record is five goals by Peter Breen set in 1972 against Norwich.

He scored his first just 2:13 into the contest and added another in the 28th minute to give UVM a 2-0 halftime lead. In the 54th minute he converted feeds from Ethan Hutchins and Tony Anderson (two assists each) to make it 3-1 before Andrew Dorman put Boston U. on the board in the 68th minute.

Less than two minutes later Chavez finished a long run from Danny Broughan to give UVM a 4-1 lead before the Terriers came roaring back.

Alan McNamara, from Federico Bianchi, cut the deficit in half in the 77th minute before Dorman’s curving corner kick found the net to make it 4-3. After a free kick into the area could not be cleared by the Cats, Erik Evjen tied the game with eight seconds left in regulation.

Despite each allowing four goals, both goalkeepers were solid down the stretch especially in the overtimes as both sides had great chances. David Sullivan made a career-high 11 stops for UVM (1-5-4; 0-0-1) while Chad Comroe posted eight saves for B.U. (5-5-1; 0-0-1).

With the draw, Vermont extended their home field unbeaten streak to 14 games (9-0-5) dating back to the latter part of the 2001 season. The streak is one of the ten longest current home field runs in the nation. UVM also had scored just six goals in nine games on the season before today’s effort.

The Catamounts next play at Hartford Wednesday night before returning home to host UMBC next Saturday.

-Athletic Communications