Champions League report

The Union of European Football Association Champions League was in full swing this week.Bayern Munich scored a 90th minute equalizer Wednesday and went on to score twice more in overtime to complete the quarterfinal stage.

Spain’s La Liga has the most representatives in the quarterfinal yet again, with Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid all advancing.

Friday’s draw produced some quality matches with the all-Spanish tie between Barcelona and Atletico Madrid grabbing the most attention, while the clash between Paris St. Germain and Manchester City promises spectacle as well.

The draw was nicer to Real Madrid, who will play underdogs Wolfsburg and Bayern Munich, who will play Portuguese champions Benfica.

The way this quarterfinal stage is set up means that, barring any huge upsets, the semifinal stage will be the dream of every soccer fan out there. Unless, of course, your team is already out.

At this point in the competition, Barcelona is considered to be the favorite to win.

The Spanish champions are also Europe’s reigning champions; love them or hate them, they are one of the scariest teams in the game.

The trio of Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar, dubbed as the MSN, has already scored 107 goals this season.

While Barcelona’s attack is undoubtedly the best in the world, their quarterfinal opponent Atletico Madrid boasts one of the best defenses around.

With Uruguayan duo Diego Godin and Jose Gimenez at the heart of defense, Atletico have only conceded 14 goals in 30 league games and three goals in eight Champions League games this season.

Junior Dewey Sheehan, a Barcelona supporter, said he believes his team is the favorite to win.

“They won it last year and their squad is very much the same as it was,” Sheehan said.

Another Barcelona fan is sophomore Shawn Palmer, who also said he thinks Barca is the team to beat.

“They have the best team and have great chemistry,” Palmer said.

Palmer and Sheehan both picked their team for good reason; Barcelona is in incredible form this season and MSN is arguably the best attack in history.

They both also picked Bayern Munich as the biggest threat to Barcelona’s legacy.

Bayern Munich, under the leadership of Barcelona’s former coach Pep Guardiola, survived a huge scare against Juventus, and, as has been the case numerous times this sea- son, Robert Lewandowski and Thomas Müller were their saviors.

Other teams with a real chance of winning the Champions League are French champions Paris St. Germain, led by Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and Real Madrid, led by Cristiano Ronaldo.

Atletico Madrid and Manchester City are quality teams, but have been handed tough draws and will head to the quarterfinals as underdogs.

The Champions League is the most watched club competition in the world, and will without a doubt offer thrills along the way.

Barcelona, with their unstoppable attack, will try to maintain the title, but the likes of Bayern, Real and PSG will certainly take their chances.

The quarterfinals start April 5 when Barcelona takes on Atletico and Bayern Munich hosts Benfica.

AthleteTweets

We look for athletes of all levels, coaching staff, alumni and mem- bers of the athletic department. If you would like your tweets to be included, tweet @VermontCynic.

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 5.46.30 PM

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 5.47.51 PM

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 5.33.36 PM

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 5.44.28 PM