Lady Cats fall to No. 1 UConn, 65-104

This just in: the UConn Huskies women’s basketball team is good.Really, really good.The undefeated and undisputed No. 1 team in the country blew by America East champs UVM on Sunday in the first round of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament, 104-65.The Lady Cats — who came out firing to start the game, but could not keep up with UConn’s relentless offensive attack — were led by junior and last year’s A-East Player of the Year,  Courtnay Pilypaitis, who paced the Lady Cats with 24 points.UConn (34-0) was led by Tina Charles, who scored 32 points on 13-of-14 shooting. Charles was one of four players in double-figures for the Huskies, who shot an impressive 63.1 percent from the field.UVM’s 65 points were actually 13 points better than the 52 points-per-game the Huskies were giving up heading into the game, adding strength to the argument that the Lady Cats were given an unfair seed in the tournament given their resume, which included ranked teams Florida and Louisville.In a tribute to a great overall season for the Lady Cats this year, the five players on the court huddled together on the NCAA logo at the end of the second half as the clock expired on their season.The team will now head into the offseason with a newfound respect and hope for a return trip to the NCAAs in 2010.