Men’s Hockey Doesn’t Fare Well Against Conference Foes

Dominic Moore had a goal and an assist in a three-goal second period as Harvard defeated Vermont, 4-2, in ECAC men’s ice hockey action Saturday at the Bright Hockey Center. Freshman Travis Russell, getting his second career start, tied the UVM record for saves in a game with 52. Dave Reece had 52 saves against New Hampshire on Jan. 10, 1970. Harvard, 2-1-0 overall and in the ECAC, took a 1-0 lead at 6:30 on the first period when freshman Dan Murphy nudged a rebound over the line after Vermont goalie Travis Russell made a nice save on Brett Nowak from the slot. Tyler Kolarik also assisted on the goal, the first career tally for Murphy. The Crimson outshot Vermont, 18-10, in the first period, giving Russell plenty of action in his first ECAC start. Harvard had 56 shots in the game to 26 for Vermont Harvard grabbed a 2-0 lead at 7:46 of the second period with a power-play goal by Dominic Moore. Vermont, 2-4-2 overall and 0-2-0 in the ECAC, got on the scoreboard late in the second period when senior assistant captain Ryan Miller scored his third goal of the season on the power play, digging the puck out in front of the net and slipping it past Harvard netminder Dov Grumet-Morris. Phil Youngclaus and Jeff Miles assisted on the goal, the 12th in Miller’s career. The Catamounts cut into the lead late in the game when freshman Baron Becker scored his first collegiate goal on a rebound with 34 seconds remaining. Bryson Busniuk and Brady Leisenring assisted on the goal. Harvard’s Grumet-Morris made 24 saves for his second win of the season. On Friday, the Brown Bears used a swarming first-period attack, strong team defense and 29 saves from junior goaltender Yann Danis in a 5-0 win over Vermont Friday in ECAC Division I men’s ice hockey action at Meehan Auditorium. Brown sophomore Les Haggett had three for the Bears, 2-0-0 overall and in the ECAC. Brown, behind the brilliant play of Danis, the school’s all-time shut-out leader, has yet to give up a goal this season. “We started poorly and finished poorly, but we had some brilliant times in the middle,” Vermont coach Mike Gilligan said. “We just couldn’t finish our chances. When you get behind a goalie like Danis, it’s an uphill battle. We stopped doing the little things well.” Brown took a quick 1-0 lead on the power play when junior defenseman Vince Macri wristed a shot from the left point that rung off the post to the left of Vermont’s Shawn Conschafter and bounced in. Les Haggett and Keith Kirley assisted on the goal at 1:27. The Bears made it 2-0 at 11:31 of the first when senior Jason Wilson ripped a well-placed snapshot that found the upper corner over Conschafter’s right shoulder. Conschafter made 21 saves and gave up five goals for Vermont before being replaced by freshman Travis Russell with 7:52 left in the game.