Men’s soccer secures winning streak

Valerie Courtright, Senior Sports Writer

UVM men’s soccer achieved a four game winning streak by defeating Fairleigh Dickinson University 4-0 Sept. 7 and Central Connecticut State 2-0 Sept. 9. 

The win over Central Connecticut State allowed the Catamounts to take this year’s Peter Baldwin Classic Tournament title.

Vermont hosts the Peter Baldwin Classic every September. Peter Baldwin ’68, former men’s soccer player, graduated as UVM’s all-time top scorer, according to UVM athletics. 

The Catamounts began the FDU game with an early scoring attempt five minutes into the game by senior forward Trevor Colazzo.

The Knights’ goalie Jahmali Waite blocked multiple scoring attempts from junior midfielder Jon Arnar Barddal and senior forward Geo Alves.

Waite couldn’t keep the Catamounts out forever, though. 

Ten minutes later, sophomore midfielder Dadi Baerings Halldorsson kicked the ball  down the field to Alves, who scored, giving UVM a 1-0 lead  into halftime.

Early in the second half, Barddal passed to senior forward Justin Freitas, who slipped it past Waite, for a score of 2-0.

Fifteen minutes later, senior midfielder Dani Rovira passed over the defense to Barddal, who kicked in the third goal.

Freitas scored again two minutes later.

Junior goalkeeper Aron Runarsson made five saves for Vermont in his first shutout of the season. 

Waite finished the game with 10 saves for the Knights.

Head coach Rob Dow praised FDU’s performance. 

“They’re a good team,” he said. “The score wasn’t a representation of FDU; our game plan was executed and the guys were ready.” 

Dow finds the team’s early success impressive.

“I think it’s been our best performance so far,”  he said. 

However, Dow said that there’s always room for improvement.

“I think we still have a long way to go to reach our goals, but the results are coming early,” he said. 

Freitas praised his team for their help during the game. 

Rovira and Barddal gave me great passes and I did my job, Freitas said.

UVM will travel to Colgate University in Hamilton, New York for their next game Sept. 16.