NFL Picks Week 4

The Jets are somewhere between what Rex Ryan thinks they are and what 85 percent of NFL fans thinks they are. Their offense is primitive, but their defense is still upper tier and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them win eight games in a weak AFC.

However, having them as the lone 4 p.m. game was cruel, and a big reason why my homework for Monday classes wasn’t done.

The Titans don’t do anything particularly well and are mediocre in most aspects. I see the Jets defense taking control of this game and Geno Smith, Santonio Holmes and company making enough plays to win the game. J-E-T-S Eight-And-Eight.

Patriots @ Falcons

What’s being lost in the scuffle of the Patriots offensive struggles is how good their defense is. Please hold while I slurp. Wilfork, a star-in-the-making Chandler Jones, and underrated Rob Ninkovich on the front line. Three high draft picks in Hightower, Spikes, and Mayo in the linebacking crew. Talib as a viable no.1 corner, playmaker Devin Mccourty and “I’m everywhere on the field” Steve Gregory. A former weakness has officially become a strength.

Individually I like a lot of players on the Falcons, but they lack something when it comes to stepping up in the biggest moments. The current core will be a perennial contender but not champion.

Taking the Pats on the road here, the offense showed good signs after a 10-day layoff. Kenbrell Thompkins found the endzone twice and Aaron Dobson brought his hands to the stadium. The return of Gronkowski is likely, but probably won’t make as big an impact as some expect. He’ll be eased in. I say Patriots by a touchdown.

Giants @ Chiefs

Your NFC East champion New York giants are 0-3. Your 2-14 Chiefs are 3-0, welcome to the NFL. The acquisition of Alex Smith gave them a quarterback who will put you in a position to win, and the supporting players are capitalizing.

I expect the Giants offense to bring it after an embarrassing shutout against the panthers. However their defense is too much to overcome. Might have picked the Giants at home, but in Kansas City the Chiefs improve their record to 4-0.

Bears @ Lions

I never know what to predict when it comes to the Bears Jay Cutler. Three extenuating circumstances I don’t like when paired with the gunslinger. 1) Road games 2) Opponents with good pass rushes 3) Primetime games. The Lions have two of these three of going for them, excluding the primetime start.

Sans Reggie Bush, Joique Bell carried the load for the Lions in week three. Paired with speedster he gives the Lions a viable rushing attack for the first time in the Calvin Johnson era. The Lions are another Falcons-like, can’t capitalize on their talent, team – but I like them in this one. Give me the Lions in a tough divisional nail biter.