Siena Dominates Vermont in OT

The Catamounts men’s lacrosse team fell 7-6 in over-time to Siena on Saturday afternoon, bringing their record to 3-4 halfway through the season.

This was the first time the Saints have ever defeated UVM in men’s lacrosse, bringing the all-time record to 6-1.

Senior Pete Hein and sophomore Andrew Kelleher both scored two goals apiece, while senior Sean Layton notched two assists.

Vermont’s troubles began with faceoffs, losing 11 of 17 throughout the contest.

Senior goalie Daryl Swarts made 14 saves on the afternoon, keeping the score close throughout.

“Siena played a good game, they made smarter decisions,” head coach Ryan Curtis said. “Our guys played hard but again, we had some trouble with ground balls and mental errors.”

Layton scored the tying goal with 4:18 left in the fourth quarter, forcing the game into an extra period, but the team was unable to capitalize on the momentum.

After a turnover, Matt Donovan scored the game winner with 2:18 left in OT to seal the victory.

While the rest of the student body was on Spring Break, the men’s lacrosse team was traveling the country, playing games against the University of North Carolina and the University of Denver, respectively.

In Chapel Hill, the Catamounts were unable to hold off the Tar Heel offense, losing 13-6.

Swarts made 18 saves, a career high, but faced 51 shots against the then #13 ranked UNC.

Pacing the Catamounts in Carolina was Hein, who scored three goals, and Kelleher, who potted two.

Sophomore Alex Young also scored.

After three days off, the team was ready to play again, pulling out a 9-8 victory over the Pioneers of Denver University.

Hein and senior Adam Kornuth, both from Colorado, contributed six points in the triumph.

“We switched some things around and put in some new plays this week and the team really executed,” Curtis said. “The guys played hard and really battled.”

Upon returning to New England, the Catamounts traveled again, this time to Dartmouth.

The Big Green won handily, with a final score of 16-7.

Dartmouth led 11-1 at the half and Ari Sussman and Brian Koch combined for 15 points.

Hein and Kelleher again scored twice each for UVM, forming a one-two punch that has been consistent over the first half of the season.

Senior Dan Zwirko dished out three assists and added a goal of his own. With seven games down and seven remaining, Hein leads the team with 16 goals scored, while Zwirko and Layton both have scored 10.

Junior Andrew Pierson has registered a team-high 10 assists.

Senior John Leonard has taken six penalties, while also leading the team in faceoff percentage, with a success rate of 40.9 percent.

Layton leads the team in scoring with 39 goals, while he and Young have scored game winning goals.

The Catamounts continue their campaign on Tuesday, March 27, at 3 p.m. against Brown University.

They then open up their conference schedule on Sat-urday, March 31, at 1 p.m., facing off against Stony Brook.