Sports shorts

Four Catamounts earn Fans’ Choice nomination

Adding to an already outstanding season for both UVM basketball teams, senior Mike Trimboli and juniors Marqus Blakely, May Kotsopoulos and Courtnay Pilypaitis were named nominees for the America East Basketball Fans’ Choice Player of the Year award in their respective conferences last week.

Each team in the conference features two players as nominees, with such standouts as Binghamton’s D.J. Rivera and Albany’s Will Harris on the men’s side and BU’s Christine Kinneary in the running on the women’s side.

The winner of the award – which Trimboli earned in 2007 – will be announced on www.americaEast.com on March 4.

Senior Millar earns early America East Nomination

Vermont women’s lacrosse senior midfielder Kristen Millar made her presence felt within the America East conference early on this season, taking home the first Player of the Week award for the 2009 season.

Millar, the UVM career leader in points, assists, draws and ground ball controls, scored three goals in a confidence-boosting season-opening 14-11 win at Connecticut.

Millar’s performance also has her approaching some large milestones in her career, with her 266 draw controls just 69 away from the all-time NCAA record and her 110 goals only 24 away from the UVM all-time record.

Colts release wide receiver legend Marvin Harrison

The NFL free agency chopping block took one of its biggest names yet this week, when the Colts release veteran wide receiver Marvin Harrison due to salary cap restrictions.

There have been talks that Harrison could be looking to the Philadelphia Eagles as his next team.