UVM Men’s Hockey splits conference series vs. UNH

Alexandra Bodelle
UVM men’s ice hockey loses 6-3 against New Hampshire Jan. 27.

On the last weekend of January, the Catamounts found themselves hosting a two-game set against the University of New Hampshire Wildcats.

The Wildcats, who rank alongside UVM in the middle of the Hockey East standings, went 5-4-1 in division play before the series.

On Friday Jan. 26, the Catamounts opened the scoring with a goal by junior defenseman Luca Münzenberger in the first period. The Wildcats scored just minutes after to tie the game, a tie that wouldn’t be broken until sophomore forward Massimo Lombardi fired a wrist shot for a goal in the second period.

Senior goalie Gabe Carriere was spot-on during a hectic third period, and claimed his career high 11th win on Rally Against Cancer night.

The next night, UVM found themselves in a hole early. After Wildcat forward Ryan Conmy scored on a UNH power play, the game quickly turned into a 4-1 Wildcats after the first period. Sophomore forward Jens Richards scored twice in the game off five shots, but it wasn’t enough as the Catamounts lost 6-3.

UVM will host the UMass Lowell River Hawks on Feb. 9th and 10th for a two-game set.