Women Complete Tough Weekend

Brown University used three goals from three different players and two assists from Jessica Link in the first period to earn a 3-0 victory over Vermont in ECAC women’s hockey action.

Karen Thatcher scored on an assist from Link at 3:08 of the first period to put Brown up 1-0. Link teamed with Thatcher on Kerry Nugent’s goal at 13:37. Teammate Ashlee Drover followed just 19 seconds later with Brown’s third straight goal. The Bears would take the 3-0 lead into the first intermission and hang on to it for the rest of the contest.

Senior Tiffany Hayes replaced sophomore Kami Cote in net and finished the afternoon with 52 saves and did not allow a goal. It was the eighth time in Hayes’ career she’s made 50 or more saves in a game. Senior Pam Dreyer made 13 stops in the Brown net to pick up the shutout.

On Saturday, freshman Julie Chu and sophomore Nicole Corriero each registered a hat-trick to lead the Harvard past Vermont 13-0 in the Crimson’s season opener. Junior Jennifer Botterill also recorded nine points on the night on two goals and seven assists.

Chu netted the first of her three first period tallies at 5:01 and the Crimson rolled to a 7-0 lead after the first period. Tiffany Hayes started in the Vermont net and made just one save, before being replaced by sophomore Kami Cote in the first period. Cote finished the night with 39 saves for Vermont.

Vermont (2-8-0, 0-3-0) travels to Cornell and Colgate for a pair of ECAC contests next Friday and Saturday.