A weekend away in St. J

Annalisa Madonia
Footprints in the snow leading up to the house from the frozen pond.

It’s that time in the semester when work starts piling up and syllabus week is a distant, sweet memory. 

It’s easy to get swept up in clubs, work and your social life until it’s 3 a.m. and you’re lying in bed awake realizing how overwhelmed you are. 

Sometimes you need to remove yourself from campus for a day or two, whether that means taking a day trip with your friends or designating a day downtown just for your mental health. 

This past Presidents’ Day weekend I was able to take some time for myself and escape to the other end of Vermont by visiting my cousins in St. Johnsbury. I was able to finally let my mind rest as the weekend was filled with baking bread, playing with animals and taking naps. 

I am so grateful to have family nearby to remind myself that there are other things in the world than school. I encourage everyone to try and get away for a day or even a night if you need it and can. Your mental health is important, you are important.

Rose chases the puck Henry hits across the frozen pond and Sophia mimics him. (Annalisa Madonia)
My cousin Val is known for her freshly baked bread made from scratch. (Annalisa Madonia)
A large red barn accompanies the house on top of the hill. (Annalisa Madonia)
Rose takes a nap after a long morning of playing on the ice. (Annalisa Madonia)
The mantle is decorated with images of our relatives as well as a rug embroidered with a fox that doubles as a wall piece. (Annalisa Madonia)
Warm natural lighting fills the dining room. (Annalisa Madonia)
A view of the red barn from the kitchen window. (Annalisa Madonia)
Shadow peers down at me from the top of the staircase. (Annalisa Madonia)
The fireplace is used to heat the house on especially cold winter nights. (Annalisa Madonia)
Marmalade is camera shy. (Annalisa Madonia)
Rose sits by the edge of the porch waiting for the kids to get home from school. (Annalisa Madonia)