Through the lens: student nail artists

Nicea Scheeler
You can often find sophomore Erin Wong (@nailz.by.erin) with incredible nail designs she paints herself, but she paints nails for other students as well.

Amidst a creativity-filled campus, student nail artists are painting their way to self-expression one beautiful nail at a time.

In a world of textbooks, lectures and labs, it is ever-so-important to stay true to yourself, and art is a wonderful way to do that.

Some students have used this creative outlet to earn some cash. Other students paint their own nails in their free time but don’t necessarily do others’ nails. 

Either way, nail art is increasingly popular, with many students expressing themselves through the designs on their nails.

Sophomore Elizabeth Blair does not paint other students’ nails, but she paints her own. Here she picks up her solar eclipse glasses from a desk in the Davis Center. (Nicea Scheeler)
Wong uses a slew of nail equipment for her nail art hustle, including lots of glitter and other decorations to go over the polish. (Nicea Scheeler)
Blair reaches for a can of Revel Berry Yerba Mate in true Catamount fashion, with the refrigerator light showcasing her colorful nails. (Nicea Scheeler)
First-year Brielle Howlett (@brielleehowlett) paints a student’s nails. (Nicea Scheeler)
Wong typically paints nails from her dorm room, with a lot of her essentials sitting on her desk. (Nicea Scheeler)
Howlett’s finished product: intricately painted framed mushrooms with green nails with white polka dots on every other nail. (Nicea Scheeler)
Wong has many options to choose from for nail art, including the glitter she is applying in this shot. (Nicea Scheeler)
Blair’s self-designed nails are on full display as she reaches out for Greta in the Davis Center. (Nicea Scheeler)
Before Wong can apply any polish or decorative material to nails, she first needs to put the acrylic nail on and file them down. (Nicea Scheeler)