Cynic fit check: on the slopes

First-years+Emily+Eisenman%2C+Kya+Toms+and+Sofia+Foote+pose+on+the+slopes+at+Jay+Peak+Feb.+3+
Alessia Noble
First-years Emily Eisenman, Kya Toms and Sofia Foote pose on the slopes at Jay Peak Feb. 3

With ski and snowboard season in full swing, UVM students are on the mountain nearly every weekend. These interviews focus on UVM students’ personal style on the mountain, favorite outdoor wear brands, UVM mountain wear culture and snow sports fashion inspiration. 

Whether fashion is your top priority on the mountain, or not, everybody has their own personal style within winter sports. Mountain wear drip doesn’t have to be brand-new—thrifted pieces work just as well, as does rental gear. Whatever motivates you to get out on the slopes. 

Emily Eisenman is a first-year sustainability ecology and policy major. Her home mountain is Elk Mountain in PA.

A blue bib and a blue and yellow gaiter add a pop of color to Eisnman’s outfit.
(Alessia Noble)

CYNIC: Can you give me a full fit check? Tell me where everything’s from and explain a little about each piece if you can. 

EISENMAN: “Bibs: North Face. Jacket: North Face. Baselayer: Under Armour. Gaiter: Skida. Helmet: bought for me by my dad, so not sure. Mittens: Hestra. [Skis, boots and poles]: rentals from Alpine Shop.” 

CYNIC: What’s your favorite ski/snowboard brand and why?

EISENMAN: “So I like North Face a lot, because you can find pretty good deals from North Face, and I think the price-for-quality is pretty worth it. And, love Skida, Vermont’s own. Oh, I also love Patagonia for mid-layers.” 

CYNIC: Has coming to UVM and skiing in Vermont changed the way you put together an outfit on the mountain? 

EISENMAN: “I think that coming to UVM has changed my everything [about] skiing, because I used to ski when I was younger but I didn’t ski for a while, so now that I’m back skiing I’m like, gotta dress to impress. Can’t look like a fool on the mountain.” 

CYNIC: Who inspires you when putting together your ski/board outfit? This can be anyone, friend, family or celebrity? 

EISENMAN: “Maggie O’Shea, because we are wearing the same outfit.” 

Toms shows off their Black Diamond gloves and North Face jacket for warmth while skiing. (Alessia Noble)

Kya Toms is a first-year computer science major. Her home mountain is Roundtop Mountain Resort in Lewisberry, PA.

TOMS: “So my helmet, it’s Giro, and my helmet’s sparkly. My jacket is North Face, I got it at the North Face outlet. My pants are Flylow, I got them at Alpine Shop for half off, great deal. And then my skis and poles are Atomic. My skis are pink and my poles are red, and my gloves are Black Diamond, and they’re lobster fingers. I have a Cotopaxi fleece on and under that I have Nike and Lululemon.” 

TOMS: “I feel like I don’t have enough of one thing to have one, but I like Skida because I feel like we have to represent Vermont and women.” 

TOMS: “I feel like I have to wear a lot more layers, and I got nicer pants so I look cool.” 

TOMS: “I’d say those little kids, you know, shredding on the mountain. Their cute little fits, bright colors […] that’s what I strive for.” 

Sofia Foote is a first-year environmental science major. Her home mountain is Blue Mountain in PA. 

Foote’s goggles and helmet are both from Smith and the helmet features a colorful sticker.
(Alessia Noble)

FOOTE: “So my helmet and goggles are Smith. My gator is Buff brand. My jacket is Montec. We’ve got the Stoic snow pants, we’ve got the Nordica boots. And then we’ve got all Uniqlo long johns underneath. And then we have the Kombi mittens that are deteriorating. My skis are Blizzard.”  

FOOTE: “I like to mix and match all my ski gear. Oh, I know, Flylow, because I have Flylow snow pants, bibs and they’re so good, and they’re insulated and they’re so waterproof.” 

FOOTE: “No, I wear the same gear, these snow pants are new, I got them over winter break because they were on sale and I wanted a pop of color.” 

FOOTE: “My dad, he’s a skier, he used to race, he used to live in Colorado and work at a ski shop. So, shout out to Jason.”