UVM basketball star withdraws from NBA draft

Stephan Toljan

Men’s basketball forward Anthony Lamb, a junior, has scored nearly 1,200 points in his college career. “My dream is to play in the NBA,” he said. “[College hoops] is a stepping stone to reach that dream.”

Alek Fleury and Mills Sparkman, Managing Editor and Summer Editor

UVM basketball star Anthony Lamb decided to withdraw his name from the NBA draft despite multiple workout invites from NBA teams including the Atlanta Hawks, Cleveland Cavaliers and the Boston Celtics.

Lamb will return to UVM to play out his senior year on the team.

“I’m excited to announce that I’ll be returning to Vermont for my senior year,” Lamb announced in a statement. “I’d like to thank all the NBA teams that brought me in for an evaluation. It was a fantastic learning experience.”

Lamb, who at the end of last season averaged 21.2 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.8 blocks a game, was named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches All-District First Team and an Associated Press All America Honorable Mention, according to UVM Athletics.

“I’ll be withdrawing my name from the 2019 NBA Draft and focusing on helping Vermont return to the NCAA Tournament #ThisisVermont,” Lamb said in his statement.