Wishes from the ‘wicked’

While it may not be wicked, the Make-a-Wish Foundation is holding a large Halloween party on Friday, Oct. 29 to help raise money for its cause. 

The foundation is organization that grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy, according to the event’s press release.

The organizers of the “One Wicked Night” event are students from three local colleges: the University of Vermont, Saint Michael’s College and Champlain College. Champlain junior Kayla Couturier, UVM senior Sarah Becque and Saint Michael’s junior Adrianna Bilancieri are the organizers of the event.  The DJ of the party will be UVM senior Darko Jeftic

Jeftic said that he joined in organizing the event because of its multiple benefits.

“I agreed to do it not only because it’s for a good cause but because it offers teens a fun night,” jeftic said.

The plan was to create an event that would not only raise money for Make-a-Wish, but to have an event that could be fun for 18+ teens rather than the usual black tie dinners that are associated with formal fundraisers, Becque said. 

The current ticket prices range from $20 per person to $10 per person for a group of 5 or more for tickets sold in the Davis Center. Tickets can also be bought online at Higher Ground’s website. The event has 300 tickets to be sold, Becque said.

The event will be held in Higher Ground’s smaller auditorium, which was donated by Switchback, one of the event’s sponsors, Becque said.  

The party will feature music, games to win prizes, and a judged costume contest for guests. The prizes come from donations of many places around Burlington with gift cards from places such as Starbucks and Sweetwaters, Becque said.