Musicians share the stage

20000115-Ringwall-tar_iguana-1032 copy
Tar Iguana performs in Burlington. courtesy

From the dark depths of an off-campus basement five friends got together to form a band.

What they created was the “creature” known as Tar Iguana.

The members met during their time at UVM and are still around looking to introduce their innovative sound.

“The hardest part in being part of a band is that now that we’re not students anymore and we don’t have Friday, Saturday, and Sundays off anymore”, Chris Heres, lead guitarist said. “We all have different schedules so the hardest part is definitely getting five people in the same room to practice.”

Drawing from rock, jam bands, reggae, and funk each member of Tar Iguana brings their own flavor of music from each of their own influences.

What they each bring allows them to create their own original sound that is Tar Iguana.

Working off of each other, they are able to create their music to their own liking, they said.

“Each of us comes from a different genre. We all like rock and jam bands and reggae, but honestly it changes so much.

“Like our keyboardist Gyasi will be listening to this one band and I’ll be listening to this one band and we’ll try to bring in those vibes that we were listening to,” Heres said.

Revibe is another Burlington band. It consists of four members creating psychedelic melodies that leave their audiences in a constant state of dancing and jamming.

Majorly influenced by rock, funk, jazz, and some electronic Revibe aims to blend each of their influences to create their own sound that only comes from Revibe.

“Our music definitely draws on a lot of different influences. When we promote shows we say jam fusion I think that defines us well, but the four main genres that really describes us best is funk, jazz, progressive rock and electronic,” drummer Sam Pratt said.

Couple things to be on the lookout for is their upcoming Halloween show called “Halloween: Tar Iguana does Ween,” where they will be playing two sets of music — one of their own and another covering the music of Ween Oct. 28.

You can also check them out at their upcoming show with Revibe at the Rusty Nail in Stowe Oct. 16.

Born from the dark depths of an off campus basement five friends got together to form a band. What they created was the creature known as Tar Iguana. The members met during their time at the University of Vermont and are still around looking to introduce their innovative sound.

“The hardest part in being a band is that now that we’re not students anymore and we don’t have Friday, Saturday, and Sundays off anymore”, Chris Heres, lead guitarist said. “ We all have different schedules so the hardest part is definitely getting five people in the same room to practice.”

Drawing from rock, jam bands, reggae, and funk each member of Tar Iguana brings their own flavor of music from each of their own influences. What they each bring allows them to create their own original sound that is Tar Iguana. Working off of each other, they are able to create their music to their own liking.

“Each of us comes from a different genre. Like we all like rock and jam bands and reggae, but honestly it changes so much. Like our keyboardist Gyasi will be listening to this one band and I’ll be listening to this one band and we’ll try to bring in those vibes that we were listening to. Our drummer likes Lotus, and Phish and those types of jam bands, but honestly I can’t say exactly what other bands influence us directly cause we try to sound different which I guess is a good thing.”

Revibe is a local Burlington area band consisting of four members creating psychedelic melodies that leave their audiences in a constant state of dancing and jamming.

“Our music definitely draws on a lot of different influences. When we promote shows we say jam fusion I think that defines us well, but the four main genres that really describes us best is funk, jazz, progressive rock and electronic”, Sam Pratt drummer said.

Couple things to be on the lookout for is their upcoming Halloween show called “Halloween: Tar Iguana does Ween”, where they will be playing two sets of music one of their own and then another covering the music of Ween and that’s on October 28th. You can also check them out at their upcoming show with Revibe at the Rusty Nail in Stowe on October 16th.