Art Hop: Newcomers revel in the Burlington art scene

Gillian Symolon
Brightly-colored murals lined the walls of Burlington-based artist Raphaella’s studio at this year’s Art Hop Sept 8.

Weird and wonderful Art Hop brought the fun to Burlington’s South End.

The annual arts festival, hosted by the South End Arts and Business Association, ran Sept. 8-11.

Vendors of food and all varieties of art lined Pine Street and the surrounding area. Signs saying “Hop this way!” guided visitors throughout the Arts District.

Newcomers to Art Hop were all around taking on roles as artists, sellers, observers and consumers. Students and locals alike embraced and celebrated Burlington’s unique art scene.

Pia Zapata, a Chilean screen printing artist, is new to the festival. 

“It’s nice to see how people interact with everybody’s art,” Zapata said. “I like the weirdness of this day. I love the weirdness of art in general. It makes you feel comfortable or uncomfortable. I love that. It’s amazing.”

Art Hop embraced multiple genres of creativity from candles to stuffed animals. Clothing, pinball games, lamps, paintings, cannolis, creemees and more could be found lining the South End. 

Tasha Lansbury, a surface pattern designer from the Burlington area, was there for the first time as a vendor displaying her floral and nature-inspired prints.

“Art Hop is the best,” Lansbury said. “It’s a great event, brings so many people into the city and it’s a lot of fun.” 

Oliver Oski and Audrey Greenip both grew up in Burlington and recently started JAWN’S Closet, a pop-up clothing store, in Philadelphia where they both attend school. When Oski had shoulder surgery this summer, they decided to expand their business to Burlington and come to Art Hop.

“It’s a great opportunity for small businesses and artists to get more outreach even if it’s not making money there on the spot,” Greensip said. “You can get a lot more social media following and just awareness.”

Oski agreed, praising Art Hop’s success in creating a space for small businesses to thrive. Additionally, both Oski and Greenip expressed enthusiasm for the festival’s relationship to the city. 

“I think it adds an element of excitement in the air during this time of year,” said Greenip.

First-year Stella Sarefield experienced Art Hop for the first time this past weekend.

“I thought it was a great opportunity for college students and Burlington residents to get a feel for the importance of art in their community,” she said. “Not to mention, it gave small business owners for both art and food a chance to get their businesses out there with good publicity.” 

The thrill from both vendors and partakers was palpable.

“I think it just keeps getting better and better every year,” said Lansbury.