Comedian doubles the fun for local comedy club

" />

Off-beat and off-the-cuff comedy was on full display at Vermont Comedy Club the weekend of Jan. 22. Canadian comedian Phil Hanley paid a visit to Burlington both Friday and Saturday night.
Hanley’s set was equal parts written bits and improvised crowd work.

Hanley began his set by talking to members of the audience seated closest to the stage, asking about their jobs and relationships.

Though loud laughter emanated from the audience for most of the night, one of his jokes wasn’t as well-received.

For the joke in question, Hanley began, “I don’t kiss on the first date,” and ends with the punchline, “I think women should be happy with just sex.”

When a woman in the audience let out a loud “boo,” Hanley countered sarcastically with, “Yes, everything up until that point was a joke, but I was serious about that.”

Hanley’s crowd-engaging style of comedy ensures that no two of his shows will be the same.

While he picked on everyone he could, he particularly enjoyed joking with the women at the show, throwing flirtatious quips to seemingly every female in the building.

Hanley has performed many of his written bits on late night programs such as “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson” and “The Pete Holmes Show” as well as Comedy Central’s stand- up show “The Half Hour.”

He has also appeared on Comedy Central’s late night game show “@midnight.” 

There was hardly a moment during Hanley’s set where no one was laughing.

He blew his mildly funny host and opener out of the water with each joke he told.

His perfect delivery and charismatic energy filled the room for the full hour that he was on stage.

Phil Hanley proved himself to be a truly hilarious comic whose star will only continue to rise.