“It” balances scares and laughs

Dahlia Maleh

I have seen my fair share of scary movies, but the 2017 movie adaption of Stephen King’s novel “It” had something beyond the typical jump scares.

The movie follows a hilarious group of boys in Derry, ME, who refer to themselves as the “Losers Club.” They try to find who, or what, is kidnapping their classmates and siblings.

Meanwhile, Pennywise, the dancing clown, is in the same town with one mission and one mission only: to get as many children as he can to come and “float” in the town’s sewer system with him.

Corpses literally float in water, so that should give you enough visual to decide for yourself what “float” means.

Amidst the tense moments, the witty banter between the boys keeps the mood light and I honestly found myself laughing more during the movie than hiding under my sweatshirt.

A favorite line from Richie Tozier, played by “Stranger Things” actor Finn Wolfhard, was “Do you need to be a virgin to see this f—— clown?” The audience couldn’t hold in their laughter even if they tried.

I had walked into the theatre with one friend but by the end of the movie it felt as though I went with the entire audience.

In unison, we all laughed, hid behind one another and yelled advice at the characters.

A lot of people may be hesitant about going to a horror movie but I highly encourage them to put their fears aside and see this film.

For those who have not seen the original 1990 version of the film or have read the 1,000 plus- page book, do not fret. The film does a great job of explaining why there is a scary clown luring children down a gutter.

“It” is more than a scary movie – it’s an adaption of a renowned novel that stays true to the author’s vision.

Whether it be the intimate acting, dirty jokes or the cinematography, the film gave the audience the gift of a good scary movie, finally.