Food truck serves local, mobile feast

The Hindquarter is the UniversityÕs newest addition to the University Terrace food truck lineup, and its hoping to set the Burlington food scene ÒaflameÓ as food blog Roaming Hunger put it.

Housed in a vintage, bright red fire truck, The Hindquarter offers a diverse list of dishes ranging from their most popular Banh Mi, a Vietnamese sandwich, to homemade Ramen bowls. Co-owners Sarah Morgan and Luke Stone, who is also a chef, wanted to focus on using local foods and meats in all of their meals.

ÒThe local food movement is something that is really taking off in Burlington, as well as UVM. The school is offering more classes on it and we thought it would be cool to be able to bring our take on local foods to the campus,Ó Stone said.

Morgan and Stone have been in the business of movable feasts for some time now, having operated the Noble Pig hot-dog cart in Burlington for the past year. For the record, the cart will return next summer but as the Local Grind, owing to some legal issues with a winery in Oregon with the same name, Seven Days reported.

The truck will be offering a rotating menu that will switch every week and also with the climate. The winter weather will bring soups and stews to the menu, meanwhile, breakfast sandwiches and lunch will be served all day. The prices vary from six to eight dollars.

ÒWe used to work for a catering company so we are used to making different kinds of foods. Sarah and I found the truck in Connecticut, it was previously a fire truck in Mount Holly, New Jersey, but the people we bought it from had converted it into a food truck. We thought it would be a great new project to start,Ó Stone said.

UVMÕs campus will be The HindquarterÕs first consistent, daily stop. Originally, it was solely used for private parties and events through Cloud Nine Catering Company but would also frequent the South End Truck Stop held on Fridays on Pine Street.

ÒWe are hoping to bring something different than the other food trucks on campus,Ó said Stone. ÒAll the chefs are guys that have been chefs at all different restaurants around Burlington, and we do food that we like to eat.Ó

From The Hindquarter truck, which was in the shop for repairs during the time of this article, grub will be dished out every Tuesday through Friday. Ultimately, the students will decide if the truck lives up to itÕs local ÔhypeÕ.

Frequent food truck patrons can stay up to date on the The HindquarterÕs whereabouts by checking out its Facebook page.