Maximize summer break in Burlington

If you are an upperclassman and live off-campus, clear your summer plans for 2014 and stay Lakeside.

Different people can have different needs for maximizing their summer vacation.

But for many, especially many UVM students, the key to having the best summer lies right here in Burlington.

ÒAll I need is a blow up raft, beer, a lake and my best friends,Ó junior Matt Carroll said.

Burlington is nestled right next to Lake Champlain and can become a hotbed of excitement when the weather makes it above 60 degrees.

The known summer hang out spot in our city is North Beach Ñ one of the main beaching areas of Lake Champlain, according to tripadvisor.

North Beach contains dozens of hiking paths and cliffs to overlook, watch the sunset and even attempt to cliff jump from.

ÒI was really scared to [jump],Ó junior Ellery Garland said. ÒWhen I finally did it, it was the greatest feeling in the whole world.Ó

Besides North Beach, there are plenty of other hidden local gems that are great places to cool off during the summer heat.

Bristol Falls, the Waterbury reservoir and Lone Rock Point are just a few examples of some local swimming holes that are continuously loved by Vermonters, according to swimmingholes.org.

ÒA good amount of students from the colleges leave to go home in the summer, making Burlington feel a bit cozier,Ó said senior Alia Barbano-George, a Burlington native.

During the summer, you can turn down any street in downtown Burlington and find a congregation of students drinking, laughing and just relaxing outside on their porches.

ÒPorch life is the best life,Ó junior Justin Weinberger said.

Church Street during the summer months is always buzzing with excitement, students seem to agree.

ÒDuring the summer, Church Street is at its finest,Ó senior Kayleigh Neu said.

ÒMusic every night, restaurants move all the seating outdoors and you can run into all your friends from school too,Ó Neu said.

If you are trying to fill your summer schedule with good friends, good music, good food and good laughs, spend a summer in beautiful Burlington.