Econ professor is recognized

One of UVM’s most prestigious professorships has just been awarded, adding to the number of professors to bear the Green and Gold title.

Jane Knodell, professor of economics, was awarded the Mark J. Zwynenburg Green and Gold Professorship for her dedication and hard work at UVM.

The professorship is named in honor of UVM alum Mark Zwynenburg who was killed in the 1988 bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over Scotland, according to the 2016-2017 catalogue of professorships.

Zwynenburg was an economics major and went on to work in the financial sector, according to the catalogue.

The nearly $400,000 professorship was raised by the efforts of former professor Tim Bates, who taught Zwynenburg economics and raised a majority of the funds by reaching out to his friends and family.

“Often the fundraising is done by the president, the provost and the deans,” Knodell said. “This effort was more of a grassroots effort.”

Knodell is a 30-year veteran of the University and was chosen through a rigorous vetting process.

Bill Falls, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, was part of that process and approved the nomination.

“We asked financial historians at some major universities to evaluate Professor Knodell; they said she was fantastic… very deserving of the professorship,” Falls said.

“It’s something that you get because of your worthiness for it, you’re a scholar; you’re an amazing teacher,” he said.

Knodell was humble in her acceptance of the award.

“It’s a huge honor,” she said. “There are lots of faculty at UVM that deserve this professorship because we have an amazing faculty.”

She also stressed the importance of this professorship.
“It will give students the historical context when they’re actually out in the market, or working for a central bank, and help put UVM on the map,” Knodell said.
Knodell’s students can attest to her teaching prowess.
“She was an excellent professor that taught thorough lectures that were very detailed,” junior Michael Chambers said.

“She was more than willing to provide extra assistance outside of the classroom to make sure students were grasping the material.”

Knodell was formally awarded this professorship during an investiture ceremony Sept. 8, which was attended by President Sullivan, Provost Rosowsky and deans, as well as alumni and members of the Zwynenburg family, including Mark’s father John Zwynenburg.