First unmodified graduation since 2019

UVM will hold a graduation ceremony without pandemic modifications this spring for the first  time in two years, according to a March 17 email from UVM President Suresh Garimella.

UVM’s mask mandate lift on March 19 and the Flynn theater no longer requiring COVID-19 vaccinations were the last steps in making a traditional graduation ceremony possible, said Gary Derr, vice president for operations and public safety. Erik Weihenmayer will be this year’s commencement speaker, according to the email.

“To say that we’re able to have a commencement in person for everybody, that is such great news and such an accomplishment that we’re at this point,” Derr said. “The fact that 100% of the students are boosted, that [speaks] volumes.”

Jonathan D’Amore, special assistant to the president, Kelly O’Malley, coordinator of presidential events and Heather Cochran-Rock, assistant director for campus event services are on the graduation planning committee, Derr said.

Patricia Prelock, provost and senior vice president, reached out to SGA leadership and graduate students for their input on what this spring’s graduation ceremony should look like before UVM reached a final decision, Derr said.

“The best thing you could do is wear that face-covering if you feel at all anxious and make sure your vaccinations are up to date,” Derr said.

Senior Dina John is excited her class can come together for a traditional graduation ceremony, but personally still prefers wearing a mask to be cautious, she said.

“I [will] wear a mask only because I really do consider the kids who are immunocompromised,” John said.

Senior JJ Sheehan will graduate this spring and is looking forward to a normal graduation ceremony after the last two ceremonies were modified, he said.

“I’m really not worried about it,” Sheehan said. “Given the current COVID climate and the policies our University already had in place, and [have recently enacted], it just kind of makes sense that graduation would be normal.”

Weihenmayer, an adventurer and leader, was the first blind person to summit Mount Everest, according to Garimella’s email.

Weihenmayer is one of the founders of an organization called No Barriers. The organization focuses on helping people break through barriers and find purpose in their own lives, Weihenmayer said.

“I think if you look at his background, his experience, the timing of what he accomplished, for what we accomplished is pretty nice,” Derr said. “We’ve had some great commencement speakers over the years, but this one just seems to line up perfectly for us where we’re at.”

No Barriers’ mission is to provide transformative experiences that encourage people to recognize their inner strength as stronger than their obstacles, according to the website.

“There are real barriers that exist in the world,” Weihenmayer said. “But at the same time, what you can grow inside can transcend those very real barriers. So instead of having the challenges shrink in front of you, you just get bigger.”

D’Amore, O’Malley and Cochran-Rock did not respond to the Cynic’s requests for comment. UVM Spokesperson Enrique Corredera stated on behalf of them that he coordinated with Derr to provide one comprehensive interview, in a March 25 email to the Cynic.

Derr is not on the graduation planning committee, but serves as a health and safety resource, he said.

Schedule of 2022 Graduation Ceremonies, stated on UVM’s Commencement Page

• The Graduate College ceremony will take place May 21 in the Gutterson Fieldhouse from 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Tickets will not be required.
  • The Honors College scholars recognition ceremony will take place May 21 in the Ira Allen Chapel from 3 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. with a reception at the Grand Maple Ballroom after the ceremony. Tickets will not be required. 
  • The University commencement main ceremony will take place May 22 on the University Green from 8:20 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Tickets will not be required. 
  • The College of Arts and Sciences ceremony will take place May 22 on the University Green from 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Tickets will not be required except in the case of severe weather where the ceremony will be moved into Patrick Gymnasium and each graduate will have two tickets available to them. 
  • The Grossman School of Business ceremony will take place May 22 at the Flynn Theater from noon – 2 p.m. with a reception at the Hilton Burlington Lake Champlain Hotel after the ceremony. Each graduate will have five tickets available to them.
  • The College of Nursing and Health Sciences ceremony will take place May 22 in the Gutterson Fieldhouse from noon – 1:30 p.m. with a reception at the Grand Maple Ballroom after the ceremony. Tickets will not be required.
  • The Rubenstein School of Environmental and Natural Resources ceremony will take place May 22 at the Doubletree Hotel from 1 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. with a reception at the Doubletree Hotel after the ceremony. Each graduate will have four tickets available to them.
  • The College of Engineering and Math Sciences ceremony will take place May 22 in the Gutterson Fieldhouse from 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. with a reception in Harris-Millis Dining Hall after the ceremony. Tickets will not be required.
  • The College of Education and Social Services ceremony will take place May 22 at the Flynn Theater from 3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. with a reception at Hilton Burlington Lake Champlain Hotel before the ceremony. Each graduate will have six tickets available to them.
  • The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Ceremony will take place May 22 in the Patrick Gymnasium from 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. with a reception in Simpson Dining Hall before the ceremony. Tickets will not be required. 
  • The Larner College of Medicine ceremony will take place May 22 in the Ira Allen Chapel from 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. with a reception at the Grand Maple Ballroom after the ceremony. Each graduate will have six tickets available to them.