Nurses and Medical Center reach tentative agreement

Sawyer Loftus

UVMMC Nurses waving at cars at their “Honk and Wave” rally outside UVMMC June 30.

Sawyer Loftus, Assistant Breaking News Editor

Updated 9/20/18 at 12:04 AM to include a statement from UVM Medical Center. 

After months of bargaining, UVM Medical Center nurses and administration have reached a tentative agreement on a new contract, according to a Sept. 20 press release.

The Vermont Federation of Nurses and Health Professionals have been negotiating their next three year contract with UVMMC since the end of March. Specific details of the agreement have not been released but negotiators will share specific details to union members Sept. 20, according to the release.  

The nurses have agreed to a 16 percent base salary increase over the next three years, according to a Sept. 20 UVMMC press release.

As part of the agreement, the nurses also removed a proposal that would have increased the rate of pay for nurses that work more than their schedule hours, according to the release.

The union represents around 1,800 nurses and other medical staff that work at UVMMC. The union has asked for a 28 percent salary increase over the next three years and an end to “chronic understaffing” inside UVMMC.

The nurses announced the release of a public “no confidence” petition, which would indicate a lack of trust in top medical center administrators Aug. 30 and planned to present their results at the UVMMC board of trustees meeting Sept. 20, according to an Aug. 30 press release.

Despite progress in a contract, the nurses remain committed to fighting for safe staffing through future legislation, stated Molly Wallner, lead negotiator for the union, in the release.

This story will be updated as details become available.

.