SGA raises funds for hurricane relief

Julianne Lesch, Staff Writer

SGA worked to unite the UVM and Burlington communities to raise money after Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Michael.

Various organizations within the Burlington community have partnered with SGA to sponsor a raffle to raise money for relief efforts following the two storms.

This fundraiser was created after a UVM student from North Carolina reached out to SGA asking if there were any fundraising efforts already created for hurricane relief efforts, SGA Vice President Gillian Natanagara, a junior, said.

“We do have 269 students from the states that have been affected by the past two catastrophic hurricanes,” Natanagara said.

It’s important for UVM to participate in a fundraiser like this since it extends the University’s reach beyond the small community borders of Burlington, Outing Club President Lulu Orne, a senior, said.

“These are people who need help, and we’re going to give them our resources because it’s of no issue to us,” Orne said.

The Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Michael relief fundraiser raffle was a collaborative effort between SGA and campus organizations such as varsity basketball and hockey teams, the Outing Club and the Ski and Snowboard Club.

Local businesses like Ben & Jerry’s, Greenride Bikeshare, Mr. Mike’s Pizza and Kountry Kart Deli have all donated items to be raffled off, Natanagara said.

The Outing Club has donated nine available spots on an Outing Club trip in December, Orne said.

First-year Sunny Fox said she felt it was important that UVM was doing something to support those affected.   

“I just really like the message behind this. The whole country needs to work to help those with hurricane damage,” Fox said.

Prizes are listed on SGA’s purchase portal, a website where people can browse the list and buy their tickets for the raffle.

Prizes range from single-day lift passes to Smuggler’s Notch Resort and Sugarbush Resort, apparel from the UVM Bookstore and a signed basketball from the men’s varsity basketball team.

“I think that the prizes are really great and it’s nice that they are making it so easy and accessible to do, making it online and everything,” senior Haley Brown said.

One hundred percent of proceeds will be donated to the nonprofit All Hands and Hearts Smart Response, Natanagara said.

Tickets are $3 and can be bought online on the purchase portal, Natanagara said.   

The Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Michael Fundraiser will end Nov. 15 when winners will be drawn, Natanagara said.