Students and faculty protest Kavanaugh

Staff Report

UVM students walked out of class to protest the nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court Oct. 4.

Students and community members gathered for a “Cancel Kavanaugh” rally outside the Davis Center after walking out of class at noon. The rally was hosted by student leaders from UVM’s chapter of the International Socialist Organization and UVM Planned Parenthood.

Students chanted “cancel class cancel Kavanaugh” in between speeches by UVM student leaders. Speakers from the Womyn of Color Coalition, United Academics, Burlington Progressive Party, Feminists Against Bullshit and the Peace and Justice Center of Vermont were featured.

Following opening remarks, nearly 1,000 students and faculty marched around campus chanting “Fuck Trump” and “Fuck Kavanaugh.” After regrouping in front of the Davis Center, protesters were encouraged to reach out to their legislators to express their concern over Kavanaugh.

About the Photographer
Sawyer Loftus, Assistant Breaking News Editor

Sawyer Loftus is the Assistant Breaking News Editor. He is a sophomore and is double majoring in History and Political Science. He is from Colchester, Vermont in his free time he loves to read, binge Netflix and snuggle with his dogs Daisy and Duncan. His favorite books are Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. He joined the Cynic in January 2018 as a first-year in the Podcast section. He has been a Multimedia Reporter, Senior Staff Writer and Summer Editor at the VT Cynic.