UVM Athletics confirms multiple positive COVID-19 tests and at least one active case

Kate Vanni, Summer Editor-in-Chief

Two unidentified members of UVM Athletics have tested positive for COVID-19 and one case remains active, according to an Aug. 4 UVM Athletics press release.

Although UVM Athletics did not provide further detail on who has tested positive, only two teams can currently practice— Men’s and Women’s Basketball —per NCAA regulations. Additionally, only the men’s basketball team has been placed on a “training pause,” according to UVM Athletics.

“Thorough contact tracing has taken place. Individuals who had close contact have been notified and are quarantining per current public health guidelines,” the Aug. 4 press release states. “The men’s basketball team is currently on a training pause and pending further test results is scheduled to resume activity next week.”

Both of the positive cases were noted as asymptomatic, according to UVM Athletics and were among 75 tests administered to players, coaches and staff across both teams.

Following a move to remote instruction and the cutting of many sports seasons short in the spring, UVM is slated to start up classes both online and in-person Aug. 31. As of June 1, the NCAA allowed basketball football teams to begin voluntary workouts June 1, according to USA Today.