Women’s basketball coach resigns

Joey Waldinger, Assistant News Editor

The UVM women’s basketball coach has resigned following investigations into his verbal conduct with players.

Chris Day stepped down April 26 after two years of coaching, according to a UVM Athletics press release today. The press release did not give a reason for his resignation.  

The University began looking into Day’s verbal conduct with players and other aspects of the women’s basketball program in early April.

“I am so grateful for my time being the head women’s basketball coach at the University of Vermont, but I have to do what’s best for my family,” Day said in the press release.

Two players, first years Dani Lozzi and Kianna Funderburk, left the team in April.

“It’s a real shame things didn’t work out for me here, but I’m super grateful for the experience,” Lozzi tweeted April 9.

Athletics director Jeff Schulman appointed associate head coach Alisa Kredge to be the interim head coach for the 2018-2019 season, according to the release.

“We’re extremely fortunate to have someone with Alisa’s ability and experience on staff to take over the leadership of this program,” Schulman said in the release.

In the release, Schulman thanked Day for his work at the University.

“We respect Chris’ decision and thank him for his energy and commitment to our women’s basketball program over the last two years,” Schulman said in the release.

Both Schulman and Day were unavailable for comment.

About the Photographer
Genevieve Winn, Illustrations Editor
Genevieve has been illustrating for the Cynic since Fall 2016 and became the Illustrations Editor in Fall 2017. She also loves to write, but spends most of her time sketching. She is a Sophomore at UVM. She has loved art all her life, starting in pre-school where she made blob people. You will probably find...