A Letter to Our Readers

Here’s how The Vermont Cynic is adapting in light of current events

Staff Editorial

Dear Readers,

Despite other recent closings and cancellations, we are writing to let you know the Vermont Cynic is still operating. 

It is the duty of the press to bring you the news in both good times and bad. In fact, in moments like these, we need journalists more than ever to articulate reality and to help us understand what it all means. 

Since 1883, it has been the responsibility of the Cynic to document life at UVM thoroughly and fairly. We plan to uphold that promise, despite recent events. 

Here’s how the Cynic is adapting:

• While our physical newsroom is closed in order to practice social distancing, our staff is still working hard remotely 24/7 at home and in Burlington. 
  • We have suspended the publication of Cynic print editions, but we will still be publishing daily online at vtcynic.com
  • You can count on us to bring you timely coverage of all COVID-19 updates, UVM administration news and SGA happenings. You can also expect stories of individuals who will inspire and motivate you during these troubling times. 
  • All COVID-19-related stories will live on the right sidebar of our website, or you can bookmark this page: https://vtcynic.com/tag/covid-19/
  • The Cynic will continue to communicate through social media, our weekly newsletter, The Cynic Bulletin (which you can subscribe to here) and our many podcasts

As always, the Cynic wants to hear from YOU. 

Got a news tip? Send it to [email protected]

We accept Letters to the Editor about anything you see published or about anything of interest to the community. Please keep letters to 350 words and send them to [email protected]

Help us document this time for future generations by telling us about your experiences with remote learning, self-quarantine and social distancing. 

The health and wellness of our staff is of the utmost importance to us, and so we are constantly checking in to make sure all of our reporters feel safe and comfortable. We extend that same care to you, our readers. Take care of yourself and your families. We wish you nothing but the best. 

Sincerely, 

Bridget Higdon, Editor-in-Chief

Alek Fleury, Managing Editor