All hail the Twitter gods

Unfortunately, as much as I regret admitting this, I now possess my very own Twitter account. I know, I know, it is accurate in assuming that I am incredibly cliché and obsessed with my iPhone Twitter app, tweeting away, but, yes, I have become this stereotype. You may wonder why I admit this with regret, instead of excitement or with eyes full of wonder. Honestly, it is so simple because now I am just like everyone else. I know I’m not the only clichéd, twittering college student. But who doesn’t want to listen to Bob Saget attempt to be funny or President Obama occasionally throw out a reassuring tweet now and again? Or even Martha Stewart, whose tweets I can’t read without laughing to myself as I imagine her while she was in jail reminiscing about chocolate cake confections and the sweet taste of sprinkles. But the shame and excitement of having your own twitter isn’t all that a Twitter account comes with. I’m sure as many of you all know, the entire world has been rocked by this insane Twitter craze. The Internet has become this whole otherworldly experience where politicians can directly talk to their constituents, musicians can directly thank their fans for buying their latest album, and important world figures can accidently post nude or suggestive photos of themselves instead of sexting it to their significant other, ahem, Congressman Weiner. Anyway, what I’m asking is this: is this new form of personal power a good thing? An increasing number of important people are embracing the possibility of sending out stream-of-consciousness thoughts, facts about personal lives and details about political up-and-coming details. Let’s see how many people have gotten in trouble by abusing and even enjoying this guilty pleasure. Terry Moran, an ABC anchor, tweeted about President Obama calling Kanye West a “jackass,” yet later ABC apologized for the “immature” tweet saying the president made the statement off the record. Still, he made the statement didn’t he, regardless of whether it was on the record. I don’t know about everybody else, but I enjoyed learning that Obama called Kanye a jackass and I enjoyed watching Charlie Sheen make a fool out of himself. What can I say it’s also a guilty pleasure to followers a like. Twitter has proven itself to be the new late-night chocolate cake; forbidden snack before bedtime. So, yes, things get a little messy over the Internet, but as an American, I think I have the right to enjoy the pleasure of hearing, or in this case reading, mistakes important people make.