Call a plumber, my Wiki is leaking

The oil leak in the Gulf Coast of the United States may not in fact be the largest and most destructive leak that we have seen this year. WikiLeaks, a website dedicated to revealing secret government, corporate and military documents, has been spilling more information than BP spilled oil. Previously, the website was largely disregarded as a group of conspiracy theorists with no useful information. However, last April, WikiLeaks broke into the mainstream by releasing a video of an Apache attack helicopter mowing down innocent citizens and even two Reuters news staff; an event which has been confirmed by The New York Times and other major news syndicates. After an explosion of media coverage, WikiLeaks then released “War Diaries” from both of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. These diaries included over 400,000 firsthand reports of soldiers on the front lines showing the truth about the horrid circumstances surrounding both wars. Many heralded WikiLeaks for revealing this information and giving Americans a realistic view of the war. The government, on the other hand, squirmed. At this point in the WikiLeaks saga, only positive damage was done. The leaks served to illuminate the plight of troops and provide a case for peace. Unfortunately, the website has taken their incredible leaking ability to the dark side. On Nov. 28, WikiLeaks released a quarter of a million classified cables from U.S. embassies. Although these communications between leaders provide an extraordinary view into the world of foreign policy, they do not serve any positive purpose. In fact, they may only endanger U.S. relations with many countries, including Russia, Iran, Iraq and others due to sharp and perhaps overly straightforward comments regarding leaders and events seen in the cables. At what point does a mission for justice become a mission to undermine a government? I am in complete support of stopping war and exposing corruption, but I am not in support of creating tension where no one needs it. The founder of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange, must realize that overexposure can be worse than no exposure at all. If the government and news outlets are too caught up patching and talking about these leaks, they cannot address the true problems at hand. In the end, one can only hope that the overzealous efforts of WikiLeaks do not cause more harm than good, and that in the future those with sensitive information will not be quite as irresponsible as they have proven to be in the past.