Clinton devotes her life to the good of the people

I saw I had a text from my grandma, the one who never sends text messages because she doesn’t even have a texting plan. It read, “Girls, turn on your TVs and watch the first woman get nominated to be a presidential candidate of the United States of America.”

My grandma was born in 1936 — only 16 years after women first gained the right to vote.

When I was asked to write my opinion about Hillary Clinton, I have to admit, I was a bit intimidated. Mainly because I was hard-pressed to know any huge policies that would change if she were elected president. But here is what I do know, and here is why Hillary Clinton has my vote.

I know that Clinton is diligent enough to be a lawyer, a U.S. senator from 2001-2009 and secretary of state from 2009-2013.

During her time as secretary of state, she visited more countries than anyone else in her position, creating face-to-face relationships around the world. Clinton made deals with countries the U.S. had never been able to bring to the negotiating table. Her experience with foreign relations speaks for itself.

[media-credit name=”Genevieve Winn” align=”alignnone” width=”300″]hillary[/media-credit]

I also know that Hillary Clinton is a wife, mom and grandmother. I know she supports Planned Parenthood.

Many people associate Planned Parenthood with abortions. In reality, it’s so much more than that. A full list of services can be found at www. plannedparenthood.org, and include pap tests, vaccinations, cancer screening and prevention, contraception and UTI treatments.

I think it’s critically important that both men and women understand the following: a gynecological exam is considered a “specialty” procedure, which means most insurances don’t cover the copay.

After a certain age, all women must see a gynecologist. It’s part of general health care. Also, in order to be prescribed birth control, according to GirlsHealth.gov, women must see a gynecologist at least once a year. At my last annual gynecological exam, I was charged a $75 copay.

Without insurance, the bill would have been $400. Just to see the doctor. I take the lowest dosage of birth control and without insurance, I would be paying $175 a month and $2,100 a year. Planned Parenthood covers these costs for women who cannot. These are real life concerns for me. I can’t say I am as personally invested in corporate taxation issues.

Clinton supports this services, and to that I say, cheers, girl.

Inspired by Vermont’s own Bernie Sanders, she supports affordable college. Clinton’s goal is to make college debt-free by cutting interest rates, so the government never profits from college student loans. Clinton’s goal is for all debt to be forgiven after 20 years, and aims to never require payment of over 10 percent of one’s income (www. Hillaryclinton.com).

As a college student, I am inspired by that. I believe in that.

Many people think her lack of support for gay marriage in the 1990s is worrisome. But regarding this issue, I ask that you revisit the time frame in which Clinton grew up. Her public views, like all of our views as human beings, were shaped by her time and her environment.

She supports gay rights now. She is open and willing to evolve and grow with the times. People are quick to say that Clinton flip-flops, or doesn’t stay true to her beliefs. Sure, her policies have changed. So has the world.

There is no doubt Clinton is flawed. But she is also perpetually framed by the media, which constantly tears her down based on her personality, not her policy. According to Dissent Magazine, when she tried to be perceived as a tough and strong woman, there were nutcrackers made about her.

The media are more concerned with her outfits and the fact that she stood by her husband after he had an affair than her political experience. The correlation between gender and power is blatant. According to Rutgers’ Center for American Women and Politics, women make up only 19.4% of Congress, 20% of the Senate, and 19.3% in the House of Representatives.

Frankly, my opinion on gender issues is that the more gender is discussed, the more relevancy gender will hold. If Clinton is elected president, maybe she will fail. Maybe she will be a raging success. But no matter the outcome, true progression is not ascribing any of her successes or downfalls to gender, but to her abilities as a human being.

I am proud that a woman has finally come so far in an election. That in itself represents an evolvement as a nation, and I am thrilled to be witnessing that turning point in history. But I am more concerned about the gender-equalizing policies she supports than the fact that she is a woman.

All propaganda aside, when you truly listen to her speak, she has the brilliance and ease of an individual who has devoted her life to the public good. Hillary Clinton has my vote, and as a college student, I hope she has yours too.