Engaging students in SGA issues

It takes knowing SGA to participate in SGA.

But it is a challenging task to try to learn all there is to know about SGA. It’s hard to engage with it while while balancing a very busy life and study schedule.

If students knew the issues at hand that SGA were trying to fight for, they would be more open to the idea of engaging with the them as students, or even as candidates.

The biggest problem is how SGA presents itself in its work.

SGA could be much more presentable to students.

One way of doing that could be producing booklets that describe what SGA is about and how to get engaged in a language that is concise and accessible to everyone, leaving the legal text in the dry document.

In other words, it seems like SGA could be more transparent with the student body.

There are  a good number of issues that keep the committees preoccupied, said junior Nicole Showalter, a former senator.

One of the biggest issues SGA responded to was working with NoNames for Justice.

“We had NoNames for Justice come in and ask for a resolution to be supported by SGA that was very spontaneous. That was a four-hour meeting that was unplanned, and we had to edit the resolution so that everyone was happy with it,” Showalter said.

When the administration sees the issues that SGA supports, that’s another indicator to the administration to listen to its students, she said.

Low competition to run as a senator for SGA can give way to senators who are not very committed in the mission of SGA.

This student organization is different than every other club, especially in terms of its responsibilities.

More candidates running for SGA will not only improve the quality of our student government, but also require that those who serve are competent.

If you have an issue, walk in to SGA, and speak to a senator.

Visit our website to listen to the full-length interview with Showalter and Cynic columnist Luke Lisco, a sophomore, on the SGA-student body relationship.