Game of Thrones relies on hype

Gabby Felitto

Spoiler alert. The show “Game of Thrones,” based off the books by George R.R. Martin, has become a pop-culture sensation.

It has everything: a talented cast, strong female characters, royalty, blood and even dragons.

That being said, after watching one season, I believe the show is overrated, and I’m happy winter won’t be coming anymore.

Part of the reason why the show is popular is because it holds the same allure that many who loved the fantasy of “Harry Potter” were missing.

“Game of Thrones” premiered around the time the last Harry Potter movie came out. Both have their fair share of fantasy, violence and larger than life characters you always root for.

Both were ways to escape from reality to a fantasy world. A March 2013 article from The Nation says while Americans prefer optimistic escapism, GOT is the opposite.

It doesn’t portray a utopia. It has corrupt rulers, causing many to have to “choose the lesser of two evils,” which is similar to our political climate.

While “Harry Potter” gives us more characters we can identify as heroes or villains, “Game of Thrones” gives people an escape to a more realistic world that is similar to our own.

Many watch the show for its scandals, not the plot, according to an April 2016 New York Post article.

They’re intrigued with taboos like the incestuous affair of the royal Lannister siblings and violent scenes like fighter Oberyn Martell getting his skull crushed by the fearsome knight Gregor Clegane.

There’s no amount of perversion that fans won’t stomach as it now counts as fine art. This causes obscenities like rape, mass murder and pedophilia to become common tropes in TV, according to the New York Post article.

Like other shows such as “True Blood” and “The Sopranos,” GOT has the advantage of being on an unfiltered channel, HBO. Its content doesn’t have to be watered down, creating a huge adult audience.

But just because a show can shock you doesn’t mean it’s well written.

One example of violent death for shock value in GOT was the death of Shireen Baratheon, a young girl who was burned at the stake as a sacrifice to the gods. Fans were outraged at her death, according to a June 2014 LA Times article.

“Game of Thrones” also excessively kills off characters to create buzz, which may be realistic to the plot and time period of GOT.

Martin said he based the books after medieval times, according to an April 22 Rolling Stone article. The show reflects aspects of the patriarchal societies of medieval times and the prevalence of violence and death.

But if a show has to create so much hype around the death of huge characters, it must be lacking a little creativity.

These obscenities may be breaching the line of social commentary, but it is up to the way the viewer perceives them.

Maybe violence is what some need to realize how messed up the world can be, but to others it’s excessive.

While I believe that “Game of Thrones” is an overrated show with too much death and aggressive sexual taboos, it’s given a massive amount of people a community they feel welcomed in.

I may just be bitter because I don’t have HBO GO and can no longer be a part of the enthusiastic fandom that has come out of Westeros.