Kavanaugh should be confirmed to Supreme Court

James Simpson

The news has been dominated for the past few weeks by two sexual misconduct allegations brought against Brett Kavanaugh, President Trump’s nominee to the Supreme Court. Democrats have seized on these allegations in the hopes of either stopping or delaying Kavanaugh’s confirmation.

However, these allegations are entirely unsubstantiated, as shown by the lack of corroboration on the accusers’ parts, and it’s clear that the Democrats are using Kavanaugh’s accusers as pawns in their political game.

The first allegation was made by Christine Blasey Ford, who alleges that Kavanaugh attempted to sexually assault her at a party 36 years ago, a crime that Kavanaugh has vehemently denied.

Each person Ford alleged to be at the party had no knowledge of the attempted assault, nor had knowledge of the party even taking place, according to a September 22 Politico article.

There is simply nothing that supports the accusation, as demonstrated in Ford’s testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee when Republican-appointed questioner Rachel Mitchell questioned her on her named witnesses’ refutations of her story.

The second allegation was made by Deborah Ramirez, one of Kavanaugh’s Yale classmates, who has alleged that Kavanaugh exposed himself to her at a college party.

Ramirez was “reluctant to characterize Kavanaugh’s role in the incident with certainty,” but felt confident enough to come forward after “carefully assessing her memories” for six days and consulting with her attorney, according to a September 23 New Yorker article, in which Ramirez broke her story.

The New Yorker published this claim despite there being not a single piece of evidence or corroborating witness to back it up.

The New York Times interviewed several dozen people over the past week and could not find a single person who could corroborate Ramirez’s story, as noted in a September 23 New York Times article.

The aforementioned New York Times article also notes that Ramirez contacted some of her Yale classmates to inquire about their memories of the incident, and told some of them that she “could not be certain Mr. Kavanaugh was the one who exposed himself.”

The only people who know whether or not Kavanaugh is guilty are himself and his accusers.

Given that there is no evidence that Kavanaugh is guilty, we must assume that he isn’t.

If evidence were to come up to support his guilt, then that would make a difference.

To tarnish someone’s reputation and professional life in the total absence of such evidence would be a terrible and cruel mistake.

As it stands right now, Kavanaugh should be confirmed to the Supreme Court as soon as possible.