Seeing with Tunnel Vision

So, financially speaking, we’ve run into some tough times at UVM. Professors are being cut and tuition’s going up — you would have thought we’d have a choice between the two.But, while it is time to tighten our belts, there is one thing we cannot skimp on: elaborate underground tunnel systems.Anyone who’s walked through the Davis Center’s tunnel understands our urgent need for greater subterranean transportation.The soothing music. The seemingly unnecessary incline. The notion that boring through the earth was somehow environmentally friendly. And the lights. Oh, those lights.I can’t help but feel that the “Big Dig” would have been considered a massive success had it only installed vibrant, multicolored lights into Boston’s underground.With Vermont’s frigid winters, these tunnels are an absolute necessity. But we can’t be exclusive in our placement of them. The only fair way to go about it is to give every building a tunnel.You should be able to go anywhere on campus without seeing anything but awkwardly vacant display cases.I want to be able to get from Redstone to Waterman without taking a breath of fresh, frigid air.As for Trinity, well, we may need to call in the guys who worked on the Chunnel.Once all that is paid off — in say 80 or 90 years — we can really improve the tunnel system. Can you say moving walkways? I think you can.But those are just preliminary steps in pursuit of our larger goal — a fully underground university.You may be thinking, “that is a horrible idea.”  Now hold on a second.What’s really more important? Your education, or avoiding the Vermont cold?Really, who prioritzes education anyway?