Sicka Than Your Average Dorm- Jeanne Mance

Now, when I meet people for the first time, it’s not unusual for the basic question to arise: What’s your name? What year are you? What’s your major? Where are you from? And my favorite: Where are you living?

This last question seems to always bring a damper to a promising interaction, for when I respond to the ignorant central campus inhabitant or Redstone delinquent with “Jeanne Mance,” their first reactions seem to always start with a morbid look of horror and disappointment as if all my limbs were being savagely bitten off by some rabid animal.

After the initial look of dismay, one usually follows with an occasional, “Oh, I’m sorry,” like it’s an unfortunate situation, or a frequent, “Dude! That like totally sucks!” trying not to be blunt about it, or most commonly “Jeanne Mance? What’s that?” Well, that’s exactly what all of us thought when we received our housing information. In fact, after asking around, I heard reports of crying and hairs being pulled out at the utter idea that we were placed in a residential hall that we had never heard of.

Well, I can say for sure that after being here for a few months, I am a new person. In fact, my fondness for Jeanne Mance is so great that I wanted to write this: to shed some light on the beautiful, lovely lady, the sparkle in my eye, my pride and joy, the one, the only, Jeanne Mance.

Now being a first-year student and living away from most of UVM civilization may not sound like the most desirable situation, but you are mistaken. To put it eloquently, Jeanne Mance is off the hizzy fo shizzy.

Our location is more advantageous than one may think. We are a brisk, few minute walk from such favorites as Pearl Street Beverages, Vermont Sandwich Company, and beautiful downtown Burlington.

Each floor comes fully equipped with its own kitchen and lounge. The rooms are just the right size and we have a wonderful view of Lake Champlain and the sunset. Oh, and the excitement does not stop there, folks. Okay fine, we may not have condoms in our vending machines like Marsh Austin Tupper, but we have fun-loving people! Sure it can be quiet at times, and some of the R.A.’s get carried away with writing us up, but we all know how to chill.

I mean, how many of you can honestly say that you’ve had an ice cream social, or fire alarms at 5 a.m.? Okay, bad examples. Well, what the vast array of entertainment like the circus animals and acrobats, or the tons of live music? That’s a lie, but we do have pet fish, flexible people and bumpin’ stereos.

Now I might be kidding around, but before you be hatin’ da Mance, try her on for size. Step inside. Come check out all the glory that makes up our humble abode.