Cats lead America East in the classroom

Vermont’s student-athletes have once again shown their talents off the field, as UVM won the America East Academic Cup for the sixth year in a row.

Vermont has won the cup a total of seven times and is the only school in the history of America East to win the award six straight times.     

The Academic Cup, established in 1995, is awarded to the school whose student-athletes achieve the highest grade point averages during the year.

Vermont’s student-athletes received a 3.19 cumulative GPA, the highest in the history of the Academic Cup.

This surpassed Vermont’s own record of a 3.14 GPA, which was established in 2004-2005, 2006-2007 and 2008-2009.

“We are very proud of the way in which our student-athletes represent the University and the ideals of intercollegiate athletics,” Associate Vice President and Director of Athletics Dr. Robert Corran said. “Their accomplishments in the athletic arena and in the classroom are exceptional and reflect the dedication, commitment and effort they put forth along with the tremendous support and encouragement which they receive from their professors and coaches.”

The University of New Hampshire finished second behind Vermont. Binghamton University and Boston University came in third and fourth, respectively.

The GPAs were calculated for each school by dividing the quality points earned by each student-athlete by the total number of credits.