Men’s hockey wins overtime thriller against UMass

Alexandra Bodelle
UVM men’s ice hockey wins 2-1 against UMass Amherst Dec. 1

In the first weekend back from Thanksgiving break, UVM hosted the UMass Minutemen and the UMass Lowell River Hawks in Gutterson Fieldhouse.

The first match, against the No. 10 ranked Minutemen, was a tight contest full of crossbar shots and unrelenting defense.

Vermont senior Gabe Carriere and UMass first-year Michael Hrabal both turned in efficient performances as the goalies in net. Carriere tallied saves on the night with a monster 14-save third period, while Hrabal—who was recently drafted 38th overall by the Arizona Coyotes—saved 27.

The first period saw plenty of scoring chances, with a crossbar snipe by first-year defenseman Jack Malinski being the closest the Catamounts came to scoring in the opening period.

After a UMass goal was overturned due to a challenged cross-checking call, the Catamounts scored on the ensuing power play thanks to first-year forward Nick Ahern one-timing his first career goal.

But the River Hawks evened the score in the middle of the third, with first-year forward Jack Musa rifling a shot into the net. Carriere faced an onslaught of shots in the third, and was able to keep the net clear until the buzzer marked the beginning of overtime.

It was grad student forward Ryan Miotto who played hero for the Catamounts, lasering a gloveside shot into the net for the OT winner.