Men’s soccer loses championship bid

LUKAS DRAUGELIS/The Vermont Cynic

Men’s soccer midfielder Joe Morrison, a sophomore, dribbles up the field, Nov. 13. The team lost 3-2 in overtime to Hartford University, ending UVM’s season.

Despite UVM men’s soccer team dominating the University of Hartford’s half of Virtue Field Nov. 13, the Cats dropped the match during the first overtime period.

Battling cold weather and a recent snowfall, the Cats donned gold jerseys.

While the Catamounts dominated possession of the ball, the Hartford Hawks responded with strong defense, while also capitalizing on the minimal offensive chances they had. Hartford won 3-2.

In the Nov. 13 game, the Catamounts had 30 total shots, 10 of which were on goal. The Hawks only had seven total shots, six were on goal. Additionally, UVM had 17 corner kicks and the Hawks had zero.

The scoring was set off by Hartford after a 20-minute stretch of play barely being on the offensive with a goal from Jovante Etienne. Hartford furthered their lead in the 40th minute with a goal from Sergi Martinez.

UVM did not get on the board until right before the end of the half. Midfielder  Jon Arnar Barðdal, a senior, scored to make the score 2-1 in favor of the Hawks. His goal was assisted by defender Garrett Lillie, a sophomore.

Lillie came up big again for the Catamounts in the 79th minute of regulation, scoring off of a corner kick. Assists were credited to defender Adrian Gahabka, a senior, and midfielder Frosti Brynjólfsson, a first-year.

Regulation ended still tied with a score of 2-2, and therefore overtime play ensued.

The intensity at the start of overtime reached a new peak for both teams.

The Hartford offense began to string together a series of passes, and as a result, Hartford’s Nyrick Anthony scored in the eighth minute of overtime play, ending the game due to the “golden goal” rule.

Golden goal is a concept of sudden death during overtime play in various sports.

UVM men’s soccer head coach Rob Dow gave a salute to his seniors in a post-game interview.

“Regardless of the outcome, I want to thank our seniors and their contributions to this program,” Dow said. “They won a couple regular season championships and had double-digit win seasons each year. They were excellent teammates and we are in doubt to that group.”

Hartford faced off against the University of New Hampshire Nov. 16.

UNH beat Hartford 1-0 to earn their second American East Conference title in two years.