Women’s field hockey drops overtime nail-biter

Photo Courtesy of UVM Athletics
UVM Women’s Field Hockey takes on Boston University Sept 10.

After losing 2-0 against the highly-ranked Northwestern Wildcats on Tuesday, the Catamounts were looking to right the ship against the Boston University Terriers.

Hungry for a win after coming off two straight losses, the Terriers led possession early in the first period. However, they struggled to capitalize on their drives and often turned the ball over before they could get close enough to shoot. 

The Catamounts made the most of their first period possessions, coming away with two goals. The first by junior midfielder Sophia Drees came off a penalty corner, and the second by junior forward Reggie Hillery set up thanks to some excellent stick handling by grad student forward Maddie Moran.

The Terriers found their footing in the second period as sophomore forward Caroline O’Brien scored two goals in the first 10 minutes to even the score. UVM continued to attack the striking circle with six shots in the period, but they couldn’t connect for a goal. 

Three minutes into the third period, BU’s junior forward Payton Anderson scored to give the Terriers the lead. Afterwards, scoring opportunities came few and far between as both teams put up great defensive efforts that saw many intercepted passes. 

In the final period of regulation, the Catamounts surged to score as they had seven shots on goal and eight penalty corners. The Terrier’s defense held up until the very last second, as a buzzer-beater goal by grad student defender Haley Buffenbarger sent the game to overtime.

The game would remain tightly contested over two overtime halves, but it was BU’s O’Brien who scored the game-winning goal—her third of the day. 

UVM women’s field hockey will play the University of New Hampshire Wildcats on September 22.