Women’s field hockey splits conference matchups against Stanford and UC Davis

Elizabeth Smith
UVM women’s field hockey wins 8-2 against UC Davis Oct. 8

UVM’s women’s field hockey team faced two conference opponents at home this week, taking on the Stanford Cardinals and UC Davis Aggies.

UVM took on Stanford on Oct. 6 under the Friday afternoon sun at Moulton Winder field. The offense came out swinging with six shots and six penalty kicks, while the defense held the Cardinals to no shots and one penalty kick. 

First-year midfielder Star Horlock scored what would be the winning goal for Stanford early in the second quarter, as a game that saw great defense from both sides finished with a 1-0 score. 

The match against the UC Davis Aggies, however, would not be as defensively played. An early first quarter goal by first-year forward Lilly Leiprecht set the tone early for the Catamounts. Rarely allowing the ball in their zone and keeping the offensive pressure on, UVM won 8-2 against the Aggies. 

The Catamounts boasted three multi-goal players in sophomore forward Sophia Lefranc, junior Sophia Drees and junior forward Alina Gerke. Grad student Haley Buffenbarger also scored a goal off a penalty corner in the second quarter. 

This puts the Catamounts at a 2-3 record in conference play, and a 5-8 record overall. UVM travels to Rhode Island to face the Bryant University Bulldogs on Oct. 13.