Advertisement

The Vermont Cynic

What we know about the fire in Discovery Hall

What we know about the fire in Discovery Hall

Cynic News Staff

1 day ago

A chemical fire in one of UVM’s newest STEM buildings left a student injured and a portion of Central campus at a standstill, Nov. 15.  A “flash fire” erupted inside a chemical fume hood in a Discovery Hall lab just before 10 a.m. A team of graduate student researchers were working with chemi...

BREAKING: Fire closes Innovation and Discovery Halls

BREAKING: Fire closes Innovation and Discovery Halls

Staff Report, Cynic News Staff

4 days ago

  Update 3: The fire department has given the all-clear. The Discovery and Innovation Halls are open, but all classes in those buildings are still canceled. Update 2: The fire started when a team of graduate students working in a lab were practicing with chemicals according to UVM spokespers...

Historic artifacts escape Torrey Hall flames

Historic artifacts escape Torrey Hall flames

Lindsay Freed and Greta Bjornson

August 30, 2017

A fire broke out in Torrey Hall the morning of Aug. 3 while construction workers were renovating the building. The fire was started by workers who were soldering copper roofing tiles around the attic, said Steven Locke, chief engineer at the Burlington Fire Department. “[The workers] immediately saw...

Fire breaks out at historic campus building

Fire breaks out at historic campus building

Lindsay Freed, Staff Writer

August 3, 2017

A fire broke out in Torrey Hall at 8 a.m. today while construction workers were renovating the building. The fire was started by workers who were soldering copper roofing tiles, said Steven Locke, chief engineer at the Burlington Fire Department. “[The workers] immediately saw it, called us and...

Sorority fire displaces tenants

November 11, 2014

A bathroom in the Pi Beta Phi sorority house caught fire Nov. 6.Thirteen fire fighters extinguished the fire using a dry chemical extinguisher and a single hoseline, according to the Nov. 7 press release by Barry Simays, Burlington fire marshal. The fire caused minor damage to the ceiling, attic and some ...

The University of Vermont's Independent Voice Since 1883
Fire