Men’s soccer extends winning streak in thrilling win on UVM Weekend

Photo Courtesy of Nich Hall
University of Vermont Men’s Soccer wins 2-1 against Umass Lowell on Virtue Field Sept. 30

The Vermont Catamounts triumphed over America East division opponent the UMass Lowell River Hawks on Sept. 30. 

Vermont, who entered undefeated on their home turf of Virtue Field, took the lead in the 43rd minute of play on a header by senior defender Jake Ashford. 

The goal was assisted by first-year defender Nick Lockerman, who took a corner kick moments before the Ashford goal. This put Vermont up by 1-0 with less than three minutes remaining in first half play. 

The Catamounts took a 2-0 lead in the following half when redshirt junior forward Yaniv Basini took a direct kick at the top of the goal box. Basini’s goal, which came just 15 minutes into the second half, proved to be the game winner for Vermont. 

The Catamounts failed to keep the score sheet clean, surrendering a goal to junior midfielder Justin Milovanov with just under 19 minutes to play. 

Milovanov’s goal was the lone blip on an otherwise strong performance from UVM’s defense, which included an impressive effort from senior goalkeeper Owen Jack who made two game-saving stops in the final 11 minutes of play to seal the win. 

Basini’s goal, which proved to be the game’s deciding factor, was the forward’s third game-winning goal of the season, which is tied for the 6th most in the America East conference. 

With Saturday’s win, the Catamounts have moved into first place in their conference with a 2-0 divisional record. 

The victory was extra special as UVM inducted former head soccer coach Ron McEachen into the UVM Athletics Hall of Fame on UVM Weekend. 

The men’s soccer program will look to continue their success on the road as they embark on a four-game road trip with two conference games against Binghamton and the New Jersey Institute of Technology, as well as UConn and Dartmouth.